Rye’s cup hopes downed by Chips

Ethan Strevett was on target for Rye United in the 3-2 loss away to Chipstead
Ethan Strevett was on target for Rye United in the 3-2 loss away to Chipstead

Rye United’s quest to win two FA Cup matches in the same season for the first time ended in disappointment on Saturday.

Despite often looking the better side, Sussex County League Division One outfit Rye lost 3-2 away to a Chipstead side which plays its football one level higher up in Ryman Division One South.

Rye started the preliminary round tie brightly, yet it was Chipstead who drew first blood from a fifth minute set-piece. Liam Upton was brought down in the home box 15 minutes later, but Anthony Storey saw his penalty saved.

A defensive mix-up allowed Chipstead to double their lead before Ethan Strevett coolly slotted home to pull one back. Chipstead got a third after the break and though Chris Gould made it 3-2 with seven minutes to go, Rye couldn’t find an equaliser.

Elsewhere, Bexhill United made it seven points in three Sussex Division Two games with a 2-0 win away to AFC Uckfield. Danny Leach opened the scoring just before the break and Peter Cooper wrapped up the points in the 84th minute.

Little Common’s four-match winning run in the same division was ended by a 4-3 loss at home to Wick & Barnham United. It was the second time this season that Common had lost a game in which they had led 3-1.

Lewis Hole headed Common in front after just 35 seconds and player-manager Russell Eldridge doubled the lead with a ninth minute free kick. Although Wick pulled one back, Hole’s second of the afternoon midway through the first half restored Common’s two-goal cushion.

Wick hit the post before closing to 3-2 shortly before the break and then levelling at 3-3 following a defensive mistake five minutes into the second period. Wick hit the front just before the hour and there was no way back for Common thereafter.

See Friday’s Observers for full reports on each of these matches.