Rye & Common win again

Lewis Hole struck twice for Little Common in their 4-1 win over Westfield this morning
Lewis Hole struck twice for Little Common in their 4-1 win over Westfield this morning
Share this article

The footballers of Rye United and Little Common continued their good form with victories on Bank Holiday Monday morning.

Rye made it three successive wins in all competitions with a 4-2 victory at Hailsham Town in Sussex County Football League Division One, while Common celebrated their fourth consecutive Division Two win courtesy of a 4-1 success away to neighbours Westfield.

Rye fell behind after a quarter-of-an-hour to an Aaron Filsell goal, but Evan Archibald levelled in the 34th minute and Ethan Strevett showed great feet to put them ahead six minutes later.

A Gavin Bourne trip allowed Pat Johnson to equalise for Hailsham in the 53rd minute only for Andy Atkin to put Rye 3-2 up a minute later. Anthony Storey sealed the points 15 minutes from time with a penalty after Ben Billings was hacked down in the box.

Three goals in the space of five first half minutes, meanwhile, were key to Little Common’s victory. After Martin Denny struck the crossbar for Common, Westfield took a 20th minute lead through Ross Markham’s side-foot volley from a corner.

But Lewis Hole took advantage of Dan Foster’s ill-judged dash off his line to equalise, Jared Lusted made the most of the space afforded to him through the inside left channel to put Common ahead and Hole raced clear as the offside flag stayed down to make it 3-1.

Sam Brown came off the bench to complete the scoring in the 84th minute after good work from fellow substitute Adam Smith on the left. Westfield’s misery was made complete when full-back Jamie Bell was sent-off after the final whistle for something he said.

Elsewhere in Division Two, Bexhill United surrendered a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 away to Saltdean United. An own goal put Bexhill ahead and Peter Cooper doubled their advantage inside 25 minutes, but Tom Roberts pulled one back in the 69th minute and a fantastic long range strike from Ryan Walton salvaged a point.

See Friday’s Observers for full reports on each of these matches.