Hastings make it back-to-back wins

Ollie Rowe opened the scoring for Hastings United in their 3-1 win away to Worthing last night. Picture courtesy Scott White
Ollie Rowe opened the scoring for Hastings United in their 3-1 win away to Worthing last night. Picture courtesy Scott White
  • Hastings United win 3-1 away to Worthing
  • Rowe and Medlock put United 2-0 up after a quarter-of-an-hour
  • Worthing pull one back before Harris seals victory late on
  • Both teams have a player sent-off in second half
  • United make it back-to-back league wins for the first time since opening week

Hastings United’s footballers have made it back-to-back league wins for the first time since the opening week of the season.

The U’s followed up their 2-0 victory at Tooting & Mitcham United on Saturday with a 3-1 success away to Worthing in Ryman Football League Division One South last night (Tuesday).

Goals from Ollie Rowe and Billy Medlock put United two-up after a quarter-of-an-hour, and although Worthing pulled one back during a second half in which both sides had a player sent-off, Jack Harris put the result beyond doubt late on.

United - who welcomed back Sean Ray after injury - opened the scoring after just five minutes. Sam Crabb crossed from the right for fellow defender Rowe to head home.

After goalkeeper Josh Pelling pulled off a fine save to preserve United’s lead, Medlock spurned a glorious chance to double it. But he did make it 2-0 moments later after Tyrell Richardson-Brown challenged for a Chris Cumming-Bart cross.

Pelling made another good stop before United came close to a third when Cumming-Bart’s shot from just outside the box took a wicked deflection and struck the crossbar.

In-form Worthing - who like United reached third round qualifying in the FA Cup - reduced their deficit in the 58th minute when Lloyd Dawes headed in from a Brannon O’Neill corner.

Worthing went down to 10 men in the 78th minute, Will Hendon receiving a second yellow card for pulling back Cole. Home goalkeeper Rikki Banks then kept his team in the game by twice thwarting Richardson-Brown.

The numbers were levelled up when Cole was shown a second yellow card in the 84th minute for a foul on Steve Metcalf. And the score was almost levelled as well moments later as Pelling produced a super save from Dawes.

United killed the game off with a third goal at the death. Banks came up for a Worthing corner, but United broke and Richardson-Brown teed up Harris, whose shot was saved by the retreating Banks but the ball rebounded against the striker and into the net.

The result avenged a defeat by the same margin to Worthing in last month’s reverse fixture at The Pilot Field and moved United up to 14th in the table with games in hand on all of the teams above them.

United: Pelling, Crabb, Cruttwell, Rowe, Ray, Walder, Medlock (Harris), Adams, Richardson-Brown (Temba), Cumming-Bart (Hollobone), Cole. Subs not used: Hall, Wilson. Attendance: 302.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at facebook.com/pages/Sport-Sussex

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!