Dominant Common in seventh heaven

Steve Morris struck twice in Little Common's 7-0 victory away to Seaford Town in the Sussex Senior Cup last night
Steve Morris struck twice in Little Common's 7-0 victory away to Seaford Town in the Sussex Senior Cup last night

Little Common’s footballers cruised into round two of the Sussex Senior Cup with a comfortable 7-0 victory away to Seaford Town last night (Wednesday).

Steve Morris and Martin Denny struck twice each as Common swept aside fellow Macron Store Sussex County Football League Division Two opposition.

Common were missing the injured Matt Cruttwell and the unavailable Jerome Smith so Ryan Darvill once again deputised in goal with Ricky Mote retaining his place at right- back and Lewis Hole returning to lead the line up-front.

On a blustery evening at The Crouch, Common kicked against the wind in the first half and took the lead in just the second minute when Morris ran on to a throughball before unleashing a drive that the home goalkeeper could only help into the net.

Playing against the wind was not easy for the Commoners and the home team enjoyed a spell of pressure. The visitors needed a couple of smart saves from Darvill to keep their lead intact.

Common always looked dangerous on the break and Denny saw two efforts clear the crossbar before Morris had a goalbound effort from Hole’s delivery cleared off the line. Russell Eldridge jinked into the box before pulling the ball back to Jake Sherwood, whose effort cannoned off the underside of the crossbar.

A second Common goal arrived minutes before the interval when a neat one-two in the area ended with Denny’s low drive nestling into the corner of the net.

Common effectively ended the tie as a contest by sweeping home a further three goals in the opening 10 minutes of the second half.

The first came in the 47th minute when Zack McEniry’s free kick bounced in the area for an unmarked Hole to steer home before a Sherwood throughball released Denny to slot home in the 53rd minute. Morris added his second and Common’s fifth just four minutes later direct from a corner.

Seaford twice came close before youngster Paul Feakins grabbed Common’s sixth, lifting the ball over the advancing goalkeeper for arguably the goal of the game at the end of a mazy run into the area.

Efforts from substitutes Casey Ham and Aaron Tudor drifted wide before Ham completed the scoring three minutes from time by slotting home at the second attempt.

Common: Darvill, R. Mote, S. Mote (Burton), Eldridge (Tudor), McEniry, Sherwood, Feakins, Brown, Hole, Morris (Ham), Denny.