Bexhill bag last gasp victory

Bexhill United midfielder Aaron Tudor closes down a Lingfield opponent. Picture by Simon Newstead (SUS-160118-102614002)
Bexhill United midfielder Aaron Tudor closes down a Lingfield opponent. Picture by Simon Newstead (SUS-160118-102614002)
  • Bexhill United win 1-0 at home to Lingfield
  • Munday heads 93rd minute winner
  • Lingfield play second half with 10 men
  • Bexhill’s first win since late November
  • Pirates’ second game since December 5

A 93rd minute winner from Marc Munday meant Bexhill United’s footballers started the second half of their league campaign with a hard-earned victory.

Bexhill player-manager Munday came up from the back to head Anthony Cooper’s right wing cross into the bottom corner and clinch a 1-0 win at home to 10-man Lingfield on Saturday.

It was Bexhill’s first Macron Store Southern Combination Football League Division One success since late November, although it was only their second game since December 5.

On a cold but calm afternoon at The Polegrove, Lingfield had most of the play during the first half yet Bexhill were pretty resolute in defence and restricted them to half chances.

David Heaton’s free kick was beaten out by Bexhill goalkeeper Elliot Stokes and the same player volleyed narrowly wide from just outside the box moments later.

Matt Burroughs fired just wide of Bexhill’s goal from inside the D and Kerran Boylan hit the side-netting from the left-hand side of the box. Bexhill full-back Craig Ottley then made an important block to deny Boylan.

Lingfield were reduced to 10 men just before the break when Stephen Smith was shown a second yellow card for scything down Kevin Barden, who had earlier seen an angled drive go beyond the far post. Munday couldn’t quite force home the resulting Ottley free kick.

Despite their numerical disadvantage, Lingfield more than held their own during the opening stages of a second period punctuated by a dog running onto the pitch, and the floodlights going on and off several times.

Stokes made a good save from Boylan, while Declan Smith and Burroughs shot just over from outside the area.

Bexhill got on top, however, as the half progressed. Scott McDonald put one effort wide of the far post after good work from Barden and Corey Wheeler, and saw another shot saved.

Vitor Pestana, who had a decent second half, sent a free kick just over and struck another effort narrowly wide from distance following more good work from Wheeler, who impressed after coming off the bench.

But Bexhill looked to be heading for their first goalless draw of the season until Munday popped up with the winner in the nick of time.

Bexhill: Stokes, A. Cooper, Ottley, Elliott-Noye, Cruikshank, Munday, A. Tudor (Wheeler 65), Barden, McDonald, Burgon, Pestana. Subs not used: Penny, Mole.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!