Football clubs and players have taken to social network site Twitter to express their sadness over the demise over Rye United.
Rye voted to withdraw from the Sussex County Football League with effect from today (Friday) at an extraordinary general meeting last night largely due to financial difficulties.
The following is a selection of tweets from the local football community reacting to the news...
* Josh Jirbandey (@Jirbandey): “Shocking news about @RyeUnited!! Will always remember Shearo giving me my debut there at 16 in a 0-0 with Whitehawk #HowTimesHaveChanged
* Sussex County FA (@SussexCountyFA): “We are sad to hear the news @RyeUnited have resigned with immediate effect from @TheSCFL following an EGM vote yesterday #SussexFootball”
* AFC Uckfield FC (@AFCUckfieldFC): “Sad to hear that this has happened all te best”
* Simon Rudkins (@SimonRudkins): “Sad for local football that another club has gone. 3 now in 10 years.”
* Sidley United FC (@SidleyUnitedFC): “Sorry to hear. Despite our healthy rivalry over the years, we know how it feels! Not nice. Best of luck regrouping for the future.”
* Storrington FC (@StorringtonFC): “So sad to hear what has happened to another @SussexCountyFA club @RyeUnited something has to happen soon to stop this downfall of football.”
* Lancing FC (@Lancing FC): “That is a sad decision we know it could not be taken easily. A sad day for the #SCFL all the best to all the good people at Rye U FC.”
* Andy Hales (@Ahales 24): “Totally gutted for such a great club! Very sad for the fans and helpers also Pat and Clive who done so much for @RyeUnited”
* Scott Price (@priceys14): “Gutted to hear about Rye Utd ... Many a great year there. Great club and great people.”
* Liam Upton (@LiamUps10): “Gutted. Lot of happy memories at Rye! #greatclub #greatpeople”
* Josh Pelling (@jpell1): “Shame to hear the news about @RyeUnited. Had a great couple of years there. Feel sorry for all involved with the club and the fans. #ryyeeee”
* Ryan Cooper (@RyanCooper8): “Had a great time @RyeUnited under @Ginger1984yol and just hope the club doesn’t have to be gone for very long #greatclub #greatpeople”
* Peter Heritage (@peterheritage60): “Bad news for @RyeUnited. I wish them all the best for the future.”
* Lewis Parsons (@Lewis_Parsons): “Gutted for Rye United, got some great memories from there! Some proper Club People over there!”
* Shaun Loft (@shaun_loft): “Terrible news tonight. Had some great years at the club and was proud to captain them. Clive and Pat and several others did a great job over the years to keep that club going. Deserved better, shame it came to this.”
* Steyning Town FC (@Steyning Town): “Sad news that another SCFL club goes to the wall. Good luck to @RyeUnited. When will people realise the clubs help for support are genuine.”