Little Common's spirited fightback earns draw with East Preston in season opener

Little Common produced a spirited second half fight back to open their league campaign with a 2-2 draw against East Preston on Saturday afternoon.

Saturday, 5th September 2020, 10:43 pm
Little Common's Cam Clark in action against AFC Uckfield Town in the FA Cup. Picture by Andy Pelling

Common made two changes to the midweek team that was victorious in the FA Cup with James Miriam-Batchelor and Freddie Warren coming into replace the unavailable Ollie Weeks and Nick Richardson.

Common started brightly and felt they should have been awarded a penalty in the opening thirty seconds when Sam Ellis was bundled over in the area but the referee waved played on.

The home side tested Matt Cruttwell with a free kick driven at his near post before taking the lead after fifteen minutes when some neat play on the edge of the area released Chad Milner to slot home.

Common responded well and Lewis Hole saw his shot on the turn tipped over the bar before Warren had an effort saved by the legs of the home keeper after being released by Liam Ward.

Warren once again found himself in space in the area and appeared to be pulled back as he attempted a shot but the referee claimed that he didn’t see the alleged offence. Despite the Common pressure it was the home side who doubled their advantage on the stroke of half time when Conor Bull swept home a ball across the area.

The Commoners made the perfect start to the second half by reducing the deficit within five minutes of the restart when the hosts were unable to clear a Kian Moynes corner and the ball fell at the feet of Lewis Parsons, the Common defender’s quick feet allowed him to make space for himself before swivelling to unleash an effort into the top corner of the net.

It was the hosts who should have extended their lead but Cruttwell was twice on hand to block with his feet before Parsons blocked an effort on the goal line. Warren’s pace and trickery continued to cause problems for the East Preston defence and young forward saw another effort pushed to safety by the home keeper.

Moynes then saw his twenty yard goal bound effort tipped over the bar but from his resultant corner Parsons was once again on hand, this time rising highest to head home. With twenty minutes remaining the match swung back in the favour of the hosts when Common were reduced to ten men following Hole’s harsh red card for a late challenge.

Having fought to get back on level terms, the Commoners were happy to take a share of the spoils and saw out the remainder of the match without too many scares.

Squad: Cruttwell, Clark, Feakins, Ward, Alexander, Parsons, Moynes (Eldridge), Miriam-Batchelor (Smith), Hole, Warren (Saville), Ellis.