Woman too scared to return to Hastings home after attack


A young woman who fled her home following a terrifying attack on her partner has been told the council will not rehouse her.

On January 16, two masked men forced their way into Kayleigh Davidson’s house in London Road and sprayed ammonia in her partner’s face.

Hastings Borough Council moved a traumatised Kayleigh into temporary accommodation following the incident. She had hoped to be rehoused.

But on Friday (February 17) she was told by the council she had to return to London Road.

Kayleigh said: “I’m so scared to go back and they do not want to help me. They do not seem to care.”

She added: “I’m manic depressive and I have been since I was 17. I’m 21 now.

“I have tried to take my life numerous times and the council knows all this. I told them I’m going to find a place to sleep on the street because I did not feel safe and they said it was not their problem.”

Kayleigh lived alone, but her partner, who lives in London, was staying with her on the night of the attack.

She is now sofa surfing with friends because she is too frightened to return home. She said: “I really do not feel safe in that property. I do not want to sleep with one eye open.”

Kayleigh added the flat suffered from serious damp issues, plus there is no window on her front door – leaving her feeling even more vulnerable.

She said: “The only way they will help is if you have got children. All us youngsters who are on the street, there is no help. It really angers me.”

A Hastings Borough Council spokesman said: “We are very sorry about what happened to Kayleigh and her partner, and did accommodate her temporarily immediately after the aggravated break-in at her home whilst police investigations continued. We believe we have been sympathetic, and have done as much as we are able to do.

“We absolutely refute any suggestion that Kayleigh was told she could sleep on the streets, or that she was not our problem. We try hard to help local residents with their housing problems and are happy to continue to do so.

“We are unable to comment in detail on specific cases, but can say that we would consider rehousing someone if they were thought likely to be at serious risk.

“Tenants who are unhappy with the condition of their property should take their concerns up with their landlord, we can intervene if the landlord has failed to take appropriate action and this is reported to us.

“Tenants of housing associations can apply for alternative accommodation, and that option may be worth considering.”

* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/hastingsobserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @HastingsObs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Hastings Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.