Woman rescued from first floor blaze

A WOMAN was rescued from a fire in her flat in the early hours of Tuesday.

She was treated for smoke inhalation before being taken to the Conquest Hospital for a further medical check-up and was later released.

Neighbours raised the alarm after seeing smoke coming through their floorboards at about 2.30am.

Firefighters attended and led the woman to safety from her first floor flat, despite her reluctance to leave her dog inside.

Fire crews did however return to the flat to rescue the pet.

People living above the flat were evacuated due to the billowing smoke.

The fire is believed to have been an accident, likely to have been caused by a candle or tea light.

Firefighters fitted smoke alarms in the two flats and replaced the batteries in the smoke alarm in the communal hall.

Watch commander Colin Doherty said: “It’s an important reminder for people to ensure they have smoke alarms fitted. If you already have them fitted, make sure you check they are working on a weekly basis by pushing the ‘test’ button.”