Firefighters tackled a house fire in St Leonards today (Tuesday, March 22).
Two East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service appliances from Hastings were called at around 11.50am to Westerleigh Close.
On arrival smoke was issuing and four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus were sent in after there were fears the resident may have been inside.
Fortunately the resident was not at home.
Crews used one hose reel jet and one in seven foam to extinguish the fire, which started under the stairs.
An investigation confirmed the incident was accidental and fire crews believe it was caused by electrics.
One appliance is still on the scene to make the area safe.
Bystander Sara Williams said on Twitter: “The firefighters do us proud.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
3) Follow us on Twitter @HastingsObs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Hastings Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.