UPDATE: St Leonards shop fire was accidental

The scene in central St Leonards this afternoon. Picture by Paul Ashton
The scene in central St Leonards this afternoon. Picture by Paul Ashton

An investigation into a shop fire in St Leonards this afternoon (Tuesday, July 19) is now complete and the cause was found to be an accidental electrical fire in a fridge.

At the height of the fire at the Spar shop in King’s Road three crews, wearing breathing apparatus, were sent into the building, which consisted of four floors, comprising of the shop on the ground floor with flats above.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service (ESFRS) said all residents were safely evacuated and one woman, believed to be in her 60s, was treated by paramedics after breathing in smoke.

Both properties either side of the shop were searched and evacuated by crews.

Incident Commander Dan Channon praised the hard work of crews in the searing heat.

He said: “Initial breathing apparatus crews did a great job containing the fire with 1-in-7 foam, which reduced fire spread.

“The crews did a fantastic job in very arduous hot conditions and we ensured that firefighters were well-rested and hydrated after tackling the fire inside the building.”

Fire at central St Leonards shop

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/ 2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/hastingsobserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @HastingsObs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Hastings Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.