Hastings to London railway line to be closed for five days

A section of the Hastings to London railway line will be closed for five days from tomorrow (Monday, February 15).

Sunday, 14th February 2021, 2:52 pm
Picture: Network Rail

The line will be closed between Tunbridge Wells and Robertsbridge, and a bus replacement service will be put on the rest of the way to Tonbridge for passengers. The line is already closed between Tunbridge Wells and Tonbridge.

It will be closed to allow Network Rail engineers to rebuild a cutting at the entrance to a tunnel on the line to reduce the risk of landslips at the site.

A potential landslip at the southern end of Wadhurst Tunnel was picked up by warning alarms in December, and the railway was protected with temporary measures. A team had been mobilised to repair it, along with several other defects, over the course of this year.

The line will be closed between Robertsbridge and Tunbridge Wells. It is already closed between Tunbridge Wells and Tonbridge. Picture: Network Rail

However, as the Tonbridge section of the Hastings line is already closed until February 20 to repair a landslip at High Brooms, engineers are taking the opportunity to repair this section too.

The London to Hastings line was constructed in the 1850s along difficult and steep terrain. Extremely heavy and prolonged rainfall over the winter, combined with the complex and unstable geology, means that Network Rail now needs to undertake this extra work as soon as possible.

Fiona Taylor, Network Rail Route Director for Kent, said: “While it’s always regrettable to have to close any section of line, this winter’s weather has taken its toll on the Hastings Line and doing this work at Wadhurst Tunnel now means we can reduce the amount of time we need to close the line during planned works during the rest of this year.

“It is absolutely essential that our railway is safe to travel on and this work will reinforce and protect the line for years to come.

“Thank you to our passengers and lineside neighbours for their patience and understanding whilst we carry out these important works.”

The line is due to be reopened completely on Saturday, February 20.

Southeastern’s Train Services Director, Scott Brightwell, said: “By doing additional work at this time, Network Rail can reduce impact on our passengers who, above all, want safe and reliable journeys.

“We’ll make sure that changes to journey times and details of replacement bus services are well communicated through our website, National Rail Enquiries, and through our Twitter account @Se_Railway, so please check before you travel.”