Trains and rubbish collections across the county have been cancelled ahead of a predicted savage storm and hurricane-strength high winds.
On Sunday afternoon East Sussex County Council said residents should not put their bins out for collection on Monday and earlier this evening train operator Southern announced it would not run any trains until at least 9am tomorrow.
Heavy winds have already hit Sussex and forecasters have said the wind speeds could exceed 80mph on Monday.
The emergency services have warned people only to go out if it is essential, and the county council’s Highways staff have already cleared 10 fallen trees and are advising drivers to take extreme care if they have to travel.
The county council said the rubbish collections have been suspended because of safety fears.
A spokesman for the county’s district and borough councils, said: “The weather forecast for tomorrow for East Sussex is, frankly, awful.
“These conditions are expected to last from the early hours until around midday.
“Many of us remember what it was like in 1987, and the last thing we want is to add to the debris on the roads by having waste and recycling, and the associated bins, blowing around all over the place.”
Commuters also face a nightmare morning following Southern’s announcement.
A spokesperson for Southern said: “Extremely high winds are expected during the early morning of Monday October 28.
“As a result, Network Rail has declared that there is a high risk of trees and debris falling onto railway lines and as a consequence, it may be unsafe to run trains while the winds persist.
“Therefore, Southern and Gatwick Express services will not run tomorrow morning until it has been declared safe to do so.”
Passengers are advised to check with National Rail Enquiries on 08457 48 49 50 or visit www.nationalrail.co.uk for up to date information as the morning progresses.