Serious fire at terraced house

A FIRE which took hold in the upstairs bedroom of a terraced house was prevented from spreading by the quick actions of firefighters.

The incident happened in Carnoustie Close, St Leonards, on Monday (August 6) around 2pm. The fire spread throughout the upstairs of the property and into the adjoining roof of the house next door.

A teenager had a lucky escape thanks to a working smoke alarm in the house, and raised the alarm.

Four fire engines attended and six firefighters, wearing breathing apparatus, entered the property armed with two hose reel jets, a main jet, as well as firefighting foam.

The fire was under control by 3pm, but crews remained at the scene until 8pm.

One resident in the neighbouring property was led to safety by crews.

Incident Commander George Wippich said: “Crews worked well in arduous conditions and our quick attendance and early attack at this fire stopped the fire from developing any further.

“Plastic water pipes were also burnt causing flooding throughout the property. “Firefighters at the scene spent time draining the main water tank in the loft of water to minimise further damage, as well as placing buckets in place in strategic areas to collect the flood water. Crews also carried out extensive salvage work by isolating the water supply, as well as placing sheeting over sofas and electrical equipment.”

The cause of the fire was found to be accidental.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service would like to remind people to check their smoke alarms on a weekly basis and never be tempted to remove the batteries, even for a short period.