Safety warning after kitchen fire in St Leonards

Fire & Rescue East Sussex
Fire & Rescue East Sussex

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is urging members of the public to not to leave cooking unattended after a fire in St Leonards last night (Thursday, October 8)

Three appliances from Hastings were called to reports of a fire in Pevensey Road shortly before 10pm.

The fire was out by the time crews arrived and firefighters ventilated the property.

A spokesperson for ESFRS said: “More than half of accidental fires at home are started by cooking.

“Many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention or they leave things unattended.

“There are several things you can do to prevent fires in the kitchen. Make sure you don’t get distracted when you are cooking, and:

* take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you’re called away from the cooker, eg by a phone call

* take care if you’re wearing loose clothing as it can catch fire easily

* don’t cook if you have been drinking alcohol or taken prescription drugs - you may get drowsy or lose concentration.”

For more safety advice, visit the ESFRS website.

* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/hastingsobserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @HastingsObs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Hastings Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.