Residents evacuated after fire at block of flats

RESIDENTS were forced to evacuate after a fire broke out at a block of flats yesterday evening (Thursday).

Around 15 people fled the building in Holmesdale Gardens when the automatic fire alarms were triggered around 8.30pm by a kitchen fire in a first floor flat.

The occupant had fallen asleep and had left food cooking underneath the grill, which had caught fire.

The fire had then spread to paperwork on top of the cooker.

The man was woken by concerned neighbours after the fire alarm sounded.

Residents were leaving the building as fire crews arrived and they entered wearing breathing apparatus and managed to rescue a dog from the fire.

The occupant, a middle-aged man was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and taken to the Conquest Hospital for checks.

Three appliances attended and fire fighters managed to contain the blaze to the kitchen, where there was light fire damage.

The cause of the fire was accidental, and watch commander George Wippich, of Red Watch at Bohemia Road fire station, said: “We would like to remind people not to store combustibles on or around cooking areas.”

For information on cooking safely visit www.esfrs.org/communitySafety/advice/cookingFireSafety.shtml.