A KEBAB shop at the centre of the tragic killing of foreign student Mohammed al-Majed has applied for a new licence, attracting strong opposition from police.
Previous owners of the Kebab Hut in Claremont were stripped of their licence in February last year after police grew fed up of being called out to deal with late-night fights and drunken behaviour.
But the fast food joint, which now has new owners, has applied to Hastings Borough Council to be open 24 hours every day and to serve late-night food from 11pm to 5am.
Sussex Police has voiced its objections to the application.
Jean Irving, the force’s licensing and public safety manager, said: “This is a premises with a notorious history and the previous premises licence was revoked in February 2010. Sussex Police presented evidence to the licensing authority of a significant history of a high level of violent incidents occurring at the premises or the immediate vicinity.”
Back in 2008, Qatari teenager Mohammed died in hospital days after being attacked after leaving the fast food joint, which was then called USA Fried Chicken and Kebab.
Londoner George Austin was jailed in 2009 over his killing after punching the 16-year-old to the ground outside the Pig in Paradise pub. However, the row started at the kebab shop.
Police said Mohammed’s death was not the only drunken violence linked to the Kebab Hut, which previously was allowed to serve alcohol until 2.30am at weekends.
Councillors on the council’s licensing sub-committee will discuss the Kebab Hut’s application on Thursday (October 13).