Young Bexhill man died suddenly due to dependence on drugs, inquest hears
A man died suddenly at a Bexhill address due to dependence on drugs, an inquest heard today (Tuesday, May 18).
Sami McIntosh 22, of Cantelupe Road, Bexhill, who friends described as ‘one of a kind’, was found dead at a friend’s flat in Sea Road on June 24 last year.
Pathologist Dr Matthew Cieka said there were several drugs in Sami’s body, including cocaine, morphine and methadone.
He added there was evidence of aspiration pneumonia in his lungs, which he said, together with ‘mixed drug toxicity’, contributed to Sami’s death.
In a statement read out at today’s inquest, Dr Stephen French, Sami’s GP, said Sami had a ‘long history of drug overdoses’ and had ‘fairly frequent involvement’ with mental health services.
Investigating officers believed he was involved in an altercation at an address in Western Road, Bexhill, on June 24 last year and detectives sought to determine if the incident contributed to his death.
At today’s inquest, Detective Inspector Pippa Nicklin, of Sussex Police, said four men were arrested at the time, as the death was treated as ‘suspicious’ but no further action was taken.
She said Sami had been staying at his friend’s flat for a couple of nights before his death.
After Sami died, his close friends described him as a person ‘who will be impossible to forget’.
Kira Johnson said: “He was one of the kindest souls, always looked out for everyone he knew. He had the almost contagious smile which lit up every room he walked into. He had the biggest heart. He loved his music so much. Always listening to his idol Eminem.”
Following Sami’s death last June, Tia set up a JustGiving page to install a bench in Egerton Park, which was one of Sami’s favourite childhood places.
Coroner Alan Craze concluded that Sami died due to a dependence on drugs.