Hastings family's house destroyed in major fire

A Hastings woman whose house was destroyed in a fire over the weekend has thanked all those who have offered to support her and her family.

Wednesday, 15th July 2020, 2:57 pm
Updated Wednesday, 15th July 2020, 2:58 pm
The fire broke out in Selina's bedroom

Selina Blatcher, 44, was getting her hair done at her home in St Mary's Road, Hastings, on Saturday (July 11), when a large fire broke out in her bedroom.

She said she was in the kitchen, in the basement of the town house, when she heard 'thudding' on the doors as her neighbours attempted to alert her to the flames.

She stepped out of the door from the basement and spotted a huge fire coming from her bedroom.

Running back into the house, Selina said she shouted to her 22-year-old daughter-in-law Cody, who was in the property at the time, and all three - Selina, her friend and Cody - managed to make it out unhurt before firefighters arrived at the scene.

Selina said: "My bedroom is on the first floor of the building. I had been in the room about 10 to 15 minutes before to get some gel for my hair. The cupboard is quite close to the door so I didn't go very far in, but we have no idea what started the fire yet.

"It has caused a lot of damage. My bedroom window blew out, the hallway window blew out. My youngest son's room is the only room to make it out without any smoke or water damage which is fortunate because he is a musician and has lots of instruments.

"The whole thing was totally overwhelming but we feel lucky to be here."

Selina said it was fortunate that her 26-year-old son Joshua, 18-year-old son Ben and daughter Sophie Frost, 12, were all out of the house at the time of the fire.

Since Saturday, Selina and Sophie have been living with a neighbour while Ben has moved in with his girlfriend and Joshua is living with his brother.

Selina added: "Joshua has learning difficulties and I am his carer so we just wouldn't be able to cope with social housing or staying in a hostel. I also have my own health conditions."

Since the fire, a fundraising page has raised more than £1,500 to help Selina and her family.

"I have been totally overwhelmed by the generosity shown by people," she said.

"When we stood out on the road during the fire, neighbours were coming forward to offer furniture. After the fire, a fundraising page was set up to support us and people have been donating. My company A1 Quality Home Care gave me some money to help me out afterwards and now they've donated £1,000 to the page. They are amazing people.

"We are just overwhelmed by the support we are being offered. It's great and I just didn't expect it to at this moment."

To see the fundraising page, click here.