A fire in a basement flat in St Leonards left one man suffering from smoke inhalation last night (Tuesday, January 19).
Two East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service crews from Bohemia Road and The Ridge were called to A259 Marina near Azur St Leonards at around 7.35pm.
Crews used two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet and compressed air foam to extinguish the fire.
The man was transferred into the care of South East Coast Ambulance Service suffering from smoke inhalation.
A bypasser, Chay Cusack, helped save one of the residents who was standing in the flat with the fire behind him.
“I came back from the Tandoori Ghor to the Queen Victoria hotel and I saw smoke billowing out of the basement flat of the building,” he said.
“I saw a guy trying to get people out of the flats above and thought, ‘someone’s sorting it out’.
“But then I looked into the basement flat and there was a guy standing there calling for me to help him get out.
“So I grabbed him and pulled him out of the flat but it was a bit weird as he was wearing no trousers.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
3) Follow us on Twitter @HastingsObs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Hastings Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.