A chimney and a microwave fire were both attended to by firefighters yesterday (Tuesday, September 29).
East Sussex Fire and Rescue were called at 3.15pm to an address on The Ridge about a blazing microwave.
Firefighters used four breathing apparatus during the operation and no one was injured.
Two fire crews attended the chimney fire in Barley Lane at around 10:25pm.
Crews used a chimney ladder, roof ladder, chimney kit and an Access Safety Kit to extinguish the fire.
A home safety visit was provided to the occupants and crews left the scene at 11:25pm.
David Kemp from the fire service said there are simple measures which can reduce the chances of a fire.
“All chimneys and flue should be cleaned and checked before the winter to check they are in full working order and there are no blockages from things like bird nests,” he said.
“Using the right fuel is important too – check it is of a decent quality and make sure you store fuel away from the fire itself.
“You should always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers and make sure embers are properly put out before you go to bed.
“Smoke alarms should be fitted and should be tested regularly, and carbon monoxide alarms in rooms where you are burning fossil fuels.
“If there’s a fire, get out call 999 immediately and don’t use your chimney again until it has been checked by a professional.”
The fire service issued advice on how often you should sweep and check your chimneys.
The chimney should be cleaned up to four times a year for wood-burning fires.
Bituminous coal should be checked twice a year.
Smokeless coals, oil and gas fire chimneys should be once a year.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
3) Follow us on Twitter @HastingsObs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Hastings Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.