Discus star Jade Lally will not be contesting the Olympic discus final after she failed to progress beyond her qualifying group.
Competing in Pool B at the Rio Olympic Stadium in the early hours of Tuesday morning, her best distance was 54.06m with her third throw to finish 15th in her group.
This was not enough to put her among the top 12 needed to progress to this afternoon’s final.
The competition was held up by a downpour of rain and her group did not start until 2.20am English time.
In the end a throw of 60.23m was the mark needed to qualify.
Earlier in the year she had twice broken the English record with throws of 64.22 and 65.10m while competing in Australia and New Zealand.
Qualified for next round
1. Yaime Perez (Cuba) 65.38 metres
2. Su Xinyue (China) 65.14
3. Sandra Perkovic (Croatia) 64.81
4. Dani Samuels (Australia) 64.46
5. Nadine Mueller (Germany) 63.67
6. Denia Caballero (Cuba) 62.94
7. Melina Robert-Michon (France) 62.59
8. Feng Bin (China) 62.01
9. Julia Fischer (Germany) 61.83
10. Chen Yang (China) 61.44
11. Zinaida Sendriute (Lithuania) 60.79
12. Shanice Craft (Germany) 60.23
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.