The Hastings & St Leonards Museum Association will be holding its AGM on December 6 at 2pm at The Museum and Art Gallery, John’s Place, Bohemia Road.
The Association is believed to be the oldest such society in the country and it opened the first museum in Hastings in 1892 in the Brassey Institute (now the central library).
On March 1 1905 ownership of the Association’s now large collections was transferred to Hastings Borough Council. There was a civic ceremony that August attended by large crowds and many dignitaries.
In accepting the gift the Mayor said that the town would never be satisfied that the museum should remain stationary, but would endeavour to make it one of the chief attractions of the borough.
After the AGM on Sunday the curator, Cathy Walling, will inform members of the exhibition due to take place in the Museum next year as part of the town’s celebration of the 950th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings.
The exhibition will tell the story of Hastings since 1066 in 66 objects through the collections of the Museum will be asking for suggestions.
As usual ginger wine and mince pies will be provided courtesy of the President, Brion Purdey.
Association Secretary Ion Castro commented: “The AGM is open to all members and of course we welcome new members who can join at the AGM. Our fundraising efforts are directed toward providing those extras for the the Museum and its visitors that fall outside the normal budget.”
There’s more information available on the Association’s website, www.1066.net/hslma.