Injured woman praises heroes who saved her life

A WOMAN who was on the brink of death after a horror road crash has spoken this week of the three heroes she owes her life to.

Janice Howe, 53, who lives in Hastings, said she would not be alive today if it was not for the trio who fought a lengthy life and death battle by a road side to save her and her husband.

The mother-of-two has spoken publicly for the first time since the crash in Dymchurch, Kent, last September in which she suffered total heart failure and effectively died.

The three men who saved her life have now all been awarded top national life-saving honours – Royal Humane Society resuscitation certificates.

Mrs Howe said: “Nothing I say can be praise enough for them. If they had not been on the spot I’m sure I would not be here today. They are true heroes.”

She was riding pillion on her 57-year-old husband Nick’s motorcycle, when it as involved in a collision outside the Neptune pub at Dymchurch on September 29 last year.

Mrs Howe suffered total heart failure and her husband was badly injured. Thankfully off-duty London fireman, Stefan Izod, and RNLI men, Rodney Bradnam, 45, and Danny Hilding, 27, from Greatstone in Kent, were at the scene within seconds.

They began a desperate combined effort to get the motorcycle off Mr Howe and to resuscitate his wife.

Announcing the awards in London Dick Wilkinson, secretary of the Royal Humane Society, said: “Put in a nutshell they were the right people in the right place at the right time.

“Thankfully they knew what to do and did it brilliantly. As Mrs Howe says, no praise is high enough for what they did.”

Mrs Howe added: “It was really Stefan whose perseverance saved me. He administered cardiac pulmonary resuscitation chest compressions and kept at it for a long time. A lot of people think that this has to be done in conjunction with the kiss-of-life but what he did proves that this is not the case.

“When the paramedics arrived I was still not breathing and my heart was not beating. However, thanks to Stefan’s efforts my circulation had been kept going and when they shocked me apparently I gave a gasp and came back to life.”

She was then airlifted to Bart’s hospital in London where she received emergency treatment and has since made a recovery from her horrific injuries.

A housing officer, she has still not been able to return to work, but says she is looking forward to the day she can.

Motorcycling was a major hobby for her and her husband as they had travelled countless miles and holidayed abroad on their motorcycle.

On the day of the crash they were out for a short ride to go and get breakfast. Since the crash though Mrs Howe has not been back on a motorbike.

She said: “I’m lucky to be here and I don’t think it be fair to my family to worry them again by going back on a bike.”