House fire in St Leonards

editorial image

Firefighters used a bucket to extinguish a house fire in St Leonards this morning (Friday, October 9).

Three East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service crews from Hastings were called to reports of a fire in Upper Maze Hill at 9.35am.

A firefighter used a fire bucket to extinguish the small fire which had started in a storage cupboard.

Crew manager Tony Giles said: “Fortunately the occupants had a fully functioning smoke alarm installed which alerted them to the fire.

“A smoke alarm is the easiest way to alert you to the danger of fire, giving you time to escape.

“They are cheap, easy to get hold of and easy to fit.

“The more alarms you have, the safer you’ll be – as long as they are working – so make sure you test them weekly.”

The service issued some advice on maintaining your smoke alarm.

To keep your smoke alarm in good working order, you should test it once a week, by pressing the test button until the alarm sounds, change the battery once a year, unless it’s a ten-year alarm, and replace the whole unit every ten years.

You can apply for a home safety visit from the service by calling 0800 177 7069 or visit: home safety visits.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/ 2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/hastingsobserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @HastingsObs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Hastings Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.