Hotelier’s death from asbestos, inquest hears

Share this article

A HOTELIER died of cancer after being exposed to harmful asbestos more than 30 years ago.

Glykeris Papaspyrou, 86, of Chanctonbury Drive, owned the Fairlight Lodge Hotel in Martineau Lane, in the 1970s and handled the material when he replaced all of the doors in the building.

An inquest into Mr Papaspyrou’s death, which happened on July 12, heard that his right lung had collapsed and he suffered from pneumonia at the time of his death at St Michael’s Hospice, in Upper Maze Hill, St Leonards.

A post-mortem revealed Mr Papaspyrou had mesothelioma, a rare form of cancer caused by exposure to asbestos.

His daughter, Dina Christodoolou, said: “Around four years ago my father became very tired. We put it down to his age. A year ago he developed a cough and cold but the cough did not seem to go.”

Deputy coroner Joanna Pratt recorded a verdict of death by industrial disease.