Hastings joiner died from asbestos exposure
A retired joiner from Hastings died in a hospice earlier this year following exposure to asbestos.
William Harrison died on January 18 this year at the age of 85 at St Michael’s Hospice, an inquest heard.
The inquest at Eastbourne Town Hall on Thursday (April 1), heard Mr Harrison, from Park Drive, had first been seen about possible mesothelioma in October 2019.
According to Dr Efua Konu, this was confirmed in December 2019 and Mr Harrison was diagnosed with desmoplastic mesothelioma which could not be helped by chemotherapy.
An in-life statement left by Mr Harrison with his solicitor said he left school at the age of 15 and worked as a sheet metal worker. This involved being exposed to asbestos lagging, the inquest heard.
East Sussex coroner Alan Craze ruled Mr Harrison died from industrial disease.