Hastings councillors have said a firm ‘no’ to plans to earmark land for new waste management sites in the town.
East Sussex County Council has identified four sites in Hastings as potential locations for such a facility – Ivyhouse Lane, Burgess Road, Whitworth Road and land west of Queensway.
But Hastings Borough Council reacted angrily to the plan, saying the sites have already been specifically allocated for employment purposes in HBC’s recently adopted development management plan.
In a short and amicable meeting on Monday evening, councillors from across the political spectrum agreed unanimously to send a strongly-worded report to the county council, expressing their dismay at the plans.
Cllr Dawn Poole (Lab), said: “I would start by saying that the report is very strong in its approach and it expresses how disappointed we are with the county council.
“It has not listened to the borough council in the past and taken our opinions into account.”
Cllr Robert Cooke (Con) said the report ‘stands up for Hastings’.
He said: “The sites we have got are for industry, to bring jobs into the area.
“I think you are totally justified in your report and well done.”
Council leader Peter Chowney (Lab) said: “We are absolutely clear on this one.
“The agreement the council has made about waste transfer sites is employment use is pretty limited. It’s not what we had in mind for the regeneration of Hastings.”
Rother District Council had responded in a similarly robust fashion when it met earlier in the day to discuss three proposed waste management sites in Bexhill.
Rother’s Cllr Tony Ganly said approval for the plans would be ‘over my dead body’.