Fire destroys bathroom in house

A man had to be evacuated to safety after a fire broke out at a house in Hastings early this morning (Friday).

Firefighters from The Ridge Fire Station arrived at the scene in Tillington Terrace just before 3am.

A woman, believed to be middle-aged, escaped from the burning building but the man, believed to be in his 60s, was still inside trying to rescue personal possessions and extinguish the flames when firefighters arrived.

Peter Everett, watch manager, said: “The man was led to safety by us as he was trying to salvage some of his possessions and put the fire out at the same time.

“The fire started in the bathroom and was quite intense when we arrived. There were a lot of combustible materials there and we believe the blaze was started due to an electrical fault in the immersion heater.”

He added there was water damage to the ground floor after the fire took hold in the bathroom.

The couple were offered hospital treatment but refused it.