Father found dead on bed after Ecstasy overdose

A WELL-LOVED father, described as a ‘big, friendly giant’ by his friends, was found dead at his flat after overdosing on Ecstasy.

Philip Gabb, 24, of Old London Road, was discovered lying on a mattress by concerned friends after he failed to show up for work.

An inquest into the father-of-one’s death, which happened on May 25, was held on Tuesday (September 3). It heard that he had recently split up with his girlfriend and become depressed over the break-up.

During the hearing at Hastings Magistrates Court friends described Mr Gabb, a car valet, as a ‘happy-go-lucky’ man.

In a statement read out in the hearing toxicologist Dr Andrew Smith said the level of Ecstasy in Mr Gabb’s system was ‘extremely high and consistent with fatal toxicity’.

Sammy Hill, Mr Gabb’s ex-partner, said she ‘sensed something was wrong’ two weeks before his death.

She said: “He was not his normal happy self and didn’t really want to tell me what it was. I assumed it was because he had split up with his girlfriend.”

Mr Gibb’s friend, Benjamin Martin, said: “Phil was happy-go-lucky but got really depressed after breaking up with his girlfriend.

“He kept on trying to get back together with her but she didn’t want to know. He was tearful when I saw him and pretty low.”

Mr Martin added he went to find Mr Gabb on the day he died because he had not heard from him after texting him on his mobile and failing to show up for work.

“I kicked his front door in so as to get inside his flat and found him before calling an ambulance,” he added.

Friend Ryan Kilbane said he had known Mr Gabb since primary school.

He said: “He (Mr Gabb) was one of my best mates and a big, friendly giant. The relationship with his girlfriend was a bad mix, as they were always arguing, breaking up and getting back together again.

“It tipped him over the edge when she went to see someone in London.”

The inquest also heard Mr Gabb had drunk two bottles of vodka two days before he was found dead.

Christopher Wilkinson, assistant coroner for East Sussex, said there was no evidence to say that Mr Gabb had taken his own life so gave an open verdict.