Family left homeless after bungalow fire

FIREFIGHTERS from Hastings rescued two dogs from a fierce blaze which ripped through a bungalow in Three Oaks leaving a family homeless.

Neighbours of the two bedroom property in Maxfield Lane called the fire service at 8.55pm on Tuesday after they heard a smoke alarm and saw smoke pouring out of the roof.

Two engines from The Ridge fire station in Hastings, one from Bohemia Road, Hastings and one retained engine from Broad Oak attended the scene.

The owner, his wife and daughter were elsewhere in the village when the fire broke out.

They returned soon after to find the roof well ablaze and six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackling the flames.

Firefighters went inside the building and rescued a Border Collie from the kitchen and a Bull Terrier from the utility room.

They spent an hour bringing the fire in the roof under control and eventually stood down from the job at midnight.

The family stayed in a next door neighbours caravan overnight.

Firefighters returned at 7am today (Wednesday) to check the scene and make sure the area was safe.

The Ridge station watch manager, Keith Morris, said: “The neighbours heard the smoke alarm and called us out.

“The fire spread into the timber roof quite quickly and caused a lot of damage. We managed to get the dogs out safely before the fire spread.

“It took us an hour to bring the roof fire under control.

“We believe it was accidental and started in an electricity meter in the corridor.

“The smoke alarm was loud and thankfully the neighbours heard it in time. We will be visiting residents of the street to leaflet and make sure they also have smoke alarms fitted.”