Exposure caused man’s fatal lung disease

A LANDSCAPE gardener died of lung disease after being exposed to harmful asbestos more than 40 years ago.

Andrew Cheesman, 61, of Downs Road, left school at 15 and started work at a service station servicing cars in Croydon in 1967 and 1968. At an inquest on Wednesday, it heard he would often be exposed to asbestos fibres while changing the brakes systems in the cars as well as sweeping up.

Part of his job was opening up brake drums, which were full of dust and asbestos, and taking asbestos lining out of cars.

Mr Cheesman died on September 30 this year at St Michael’s Hospice in Upper Maze Hill, St Leonards.

Dr Ian Hawley, Conquest Hospital pathologist, who carried out the postmortem, said there was evidence of mesothelioma, a cancer caused by asbestos fibres, in Mr Cheesman’s right lung. Coroner Alan Craze recorded a verdict of death by industrial disease.