Depressed woman overdosed on painkillers

A disabled woman died after overdosing on painkillers.

Rebecca Paine, 25, of St Helens Park Road, was found in her flat by police after her worried family could not reach her by phone.

An inquest into her death was held on Wednesday, which heard that Miss Paine had taken 35 times the normal dose of amitriptyline, which is also used as an anti-depressant.

Her GP Rudi Schneider said in a statement that Miss Paine, who died on January 11, had a history of chronic and severe back pain, migraines and nausea.

She also had meningitis in March 2005 and, as a result, developed symptoms of depression and anxiety.

Dr Schneider said that Miss Paine deliberately overdosed on prescribed medication last October and was admitted to the Conquest Hospital.

Her sister Suzanne Bishop said: "Rebecca was a normal, happy, bubbly girl until she had meningitis.

"She got pretty depressed because she was scared to go out in case she had fits.

"Rebecca became reclusive and spent the whole time in her bedroom watching TV."

Mrs Bishop also told the inquest that her late sister got into a relationship with a man who apparently had a negative influence on her.

Just days before her death, Miss Paine had a bad bout of flu and her parents tried to reach her by phone without success.

Her other sister Nicole Williams said Miss Paine had allegedly been attacked in December last year.

She said: "It happened within her flat a few weeks before her death. It made her very scared."

Coroner Alan Craze recorded a verdict of suicide while the balance of the mind was disturbed.