Son banned from visiting parents after dad punched

A SON has had a court order slapped on him preventing him from seeing his parents after punching his dad in the face.

The incident happened when he stepped in to break up an argument between his father and brother at a family gathering in Hastings.

Dean Anderson, 24, of Lydd Road, Camber, initially pleaded not guilty to the offence, which took place on November 13 last year, but changed his plea to guilty when he appeared at Hastings Magistrates Court last week.

Anderson also pleaded guilty to a public order offence on January 20 this year when he shouted and swore at police officers who were giving him a lift home from Hastings to Camber.

Peter Bolwell, prosecuting, said: “The incident with his father happened in the early hours of the morning at 3.30am. A certain amount of alcohol had been consumed.

“Anderson punched his father to the face, causing a cut.

“He has a substantial previous record but not many convictions that involve violence.

“His parents have asked the court to impose a restraining order as they fear for their safety. I would ask for this order to protect them from further violence.

“On January 20, police questioned him about a matter that came to nothing. They offered to give him a lift home but on the way he became abusive and threatening.

“They stopped the vehicle and tried to eject him but he resisted and had to be overpowered and arrested.”

Ronan Crummy, defending, said: “The incident with his parents was unfortunate but he was not the first or main protagonist.

“His brother was having an argument with his father and the Crown’s evidence is that everyone was in varying stages of drunkenness. He did not start the incident in the first place.

“From trying to be a pacifier he ended up being an offender and clearly overstepped the mark.

“The incident with the police happened after they misinterpreted a game of I Spy on the way home and asked him to get out of the car at gone midnight in Udimore, which was in the middle of nowhere.

“Where he was taken from he may have been able to get a taxi but he was now stranded and very upset by that.”

Magistrates sentenced Anderson to a 12-month community order with 180 hours of unpaid work and ordered him to pay £130 in costs toward the abandoned not guilty trial.