Couple’s wedding plans wrecked by hotel closure

Philip Hopkinson and Rose Martin fear they may have lost �6000 after the closure of High Beech Hotel (Sussex Edwardian Hotel).
Philip Hopkinson and Rose Martin fear they may have lost �6000 after the closure of High Beech Hotel (Sussex Edwardian Hotel).

A COUPLE fear they may have lost £5,500 after their wedding reception was cancelled when a hotel suddenly closed down.

Rose Martin, 47, was due to marry her partner Philip Hopkinson tomorrow (SAT) before going to the Sussex Edwardian Hotel, formerly High Beech Hotel, in Eisenhower Drive, St Leonards.

But they were forced to rearrange their reception plans after learning the hotel closed down two weeks ago.

Last week the Observer revealed how another couple were also left devastated after they had to cancel their 40th wedding celebration due to the hotel’s sudden closure.

Zane and Tom Johnstone were forced to rearrange their Ruby Wedding anniversary just over 24 hours before they were due at the hotel and fear they have lost £360 for the rooms they booked.

Rose and Philip, who live in Burry Road, Silverhill have now booked Sedlescombe Village Hall for tomorrow.

They have arranged a reception at Chequers pub in Battle after frantically ringing around to find an alternative venue.

They had invited 91 guests for the wedding at St Luke’s Church in Silverhill before going to the reception at the hotel. Another 100 people had been booked in for the evening.

Rose and Philip, who were childhood sweethearts, had to spend their £1,300 honeymoon fund on paying for the alternative venues and say they can’t afford to go anywhere now.

Rose, who works as a carer, said: “It’s been a total nightmare. It took me several days to calm down.

“We weren’t even given the courtesy of a phone call or an apology to say that it could not go ahead.

“We booked the date of the wedding back in January and went up to the hotel three or four times.

“We had no idea that anything like this could happen.

“My daughter had her wedding reception at the hotel in 2009 and everything went well.

“We paid the money straight into the hotel account because they said they did not have a chip and pin machine.

“We event spent all the money we were keeping for our honeymoon on booking the village hall and the pub.”

Both couples are now consulting a solicitor about getting their money back.

The Observer tried to contact Miss Hassan but was unable to obtain a response.

A statement issued by Herington’s solicitors on behalf of the hotel owners the Maheswaran family said: “On January 1, Ms Hassan and Mr Hasaj went into possession of the hotel and took over its operational management on a temporary basis with a view to being granted a lease by the Maheswaran family.

“Regrettably it was not possible for the Maheswaran family to agree terms with Ms Hassan and Mr Hasaj for a lease.

“As a result the family gave notice to recover possession of the hotel.

“Enquiries in relation to any bookings between January 1 and April 19 should be made direct to Ms Hassan and Mr Hasaj or E&C Hotels Ltd.”