Concern after pin in meat

William Gibbons who found a pin in a joint of gammon.
William Gibbons who found a pin in a joint of gammon.
Share this article

A MOTHER-of-two whose partner found a metal pin in a mouthful of gammon during a family meal is concerned that the supermarket has not been able to offer an explanation.

Shona Noble, 35, of Cookson Gardens, is concerned that one of her children could have swallowed the pin, which was embedded in the meat bought from Asda in Battle Road, St Leonards, and is unhappy with the £15 voucher given to her by the supermarket as a goodwill gesture.

She said: “I have explained to Asda that I am unhappy with their offer to treat myfamily with the £15 and I really don’t think that they have taken this seriously.

“My son, who is six, also had the gammon for his dinner and it was lucky that my partner found this rather than my son.

“I dread to think what injury this could cause if it was swallowed!”

Shona was sitting down to dinner with her partner William, 45, six-year-old Finn and one-year-old Ruby, in January, when William felt something out of the ordinary had become lodged in his mouth.

He then removed what looked like a dressmaker’s pin from his mouth.

He said: “I really wasn’t expecting to see that in a joint of meat. It got stuck in the roof of my mouth. Luckily I felt it before I closed my mouth.

“It was lucky it wasn’t the baby or the little fellow.”

Shona returned the pin to the store on January 8 and has since been in correspondence with Asda head office.

She was initially offered £10 for the inconvenience of having to return the pin to the store, then later, £15 as a goodwill gesture, however Asda has been unable to explain how a pin may have got into the meat.

An Asda spokesman said: “We have investigated Mrs Noble’s complaint but have been unable to find any evidence to suggest that metal was present during the stringent manufacturing process.

“We pride ourselves on high food standards, this is an isolated incident and we haven’t received any other complaints of this nature and can only apologise for any inconvenience caused.

“Our store colleagues offered the customer a full refund and gesture of goodwill and our customer service team has been in contact with Mrs Noble to keep her up to date with the investigation.”

Shona said that she had however lost faith in the supermarket as a result of her experience, and would be donating the £15 voucher to a local charity.