Chip pan fire in St Leonards

Fire and Rescue news.
Fire and Rescue news.

The fire service has issued advice after a chip pan fire in St Leonards yesterday (Tuesday, December 1).

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service were called at around 6.35pm to reports of a fire with people trapped on Battle Road.

Firefighters from Bohemia Road, The Ridge, and Battle fire stations attended the incident.

All persons were accounted for.

Crews used four breathing apparatus and firefighting foam to put out a chip pan fire.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “You need to be especially careful when you are deep-fat frying or cooking with oil because hot oil can catch fire easily.

“Make sure you don’t fill a chip pan or other deep-fat fryer more than one-third full of oil and use a thermostat-controlled deep-fat fryer, which will make sure the fat doesn’t get too hot.

The service’s advice said about dealing with a chip pan fire; if a pan catches fire in your kitchen, don’t move it because it will be very hot, turn off the heat if it’s safe to do so, don’t lean over the pan to reach the controls.

Don’t use a fire extinguisher on a pan of oil because the force of the extinguisher can spread the fire, never use water on chip pan fires as this will cause a fireball, use a fire blanket to smother the flames if it safe to do so, get out, stay out and call 999.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/ 2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/hastingsobserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @HastingsObs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Hastings Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.