Chip pan fire at student flats

TWENTY people were evacuated from student accommodation in the town centre after a chip pan caught fire.

The incident happened at a block of flats in Robertson Terrace at 3.30 this morning (Saturday).

Firefighters were called to the scene, but the fire was already out upon arrival, and no one was injured.

An East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “If a chip pan catches fire, do not put water on it.

“If safe to do so, get out and call the fire service.”