It was a busy night for Hastings firefighters with two house fires and a early morning cat rescue.
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service attended reports of a bedroom fire at a property on Clement Hill Road at around 10.50pm last night (August 20) after a fire broke out in a two-floor building.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel jet and 1-in-7 foam, along with a main hose reel jet, to tackle the fire.
The Fire Victim Support Unit was also on the scene to provide support to residents affected by the incident.
Fire crews were called at approximately 1:15am this morning to an animal rescue.
A fire engine from The Ridge attended an address on Broomgrove Road where a cat was trapped down 20 foot down a gap between two walls.
Crews managed to rescue it using a ladder.
A spokesman said: “We would like to remind the public to contact the RSPCA or local animal rescue group in the first instance rather than calling 999 if they see a trapped animal.”
Firefighters attended an address on Hughenden Road at 7:10pm to reports of a cooker fire.
There had been a small fire in an oven which was out on arrival.
More than half of accidental fires at home are started by cooking.
Many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention or they leave things unattended.
Find out how to stay safe in your kitchen: www.esfrs.org/your-safety/fire-safety-at-home/cooking
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
3) Follow us on Twitter @HastingsObs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Hastings Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.