A plane is believed to have crashed into the sea off Winchelsea Beach this afternoon (Saturday, August 6).
The light aircraft is reported to have ditched two miles off the coast.
The emergency services were called at around 5.30pm.
Two Coastguard helicopters and Rye Lifeboat crew are currently on the scene.
Eyewitness reports suggest the aircraft ‘bounced’ on the water several times before flipping over.
The Observer understands that some wreckage has been found.
It is not yet known whether anyone has been injured.
This story will be updated when more information becomes available.
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.ryeandbattleobserver.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/RyeandBattleObserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @RyeObs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Rye and Battle Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.