Alfie mum Tracie is thrilled by progress

<Digimax S830 / Kenox S830> ENGSUS00120131014223526
<Digimax S830 / Kenox S830> ENGSUS00120131014223526

A beer, a fry-up, jokes, a new start - its all good for Alfie Peak who is showing signs of recovering from injuries he sustained 11 months ago in a late-night assault in Sea Road.

Mum Tracie Deeprose is thrilled that her 26 year old son - who has a daughter of his own - has moved from hospital in Wiltshire to the Queen Elizabeth Foundation in Surrey where she hopes to see him make significant progress in a more active and stimulating environment.

It’s been less than two weeks since he spoke his first word since his brain injury but Tracie feels Alfie is on his way.

She feels encouraged by the improvement in Alfie after almost a year which saw her reach “rock bottom” before steeling herself to be strong.

She commented: “It’s so hard for me to see him like that. My poor boy. It’s heartbreaking.”

However after his breakthrough and new move she said: “It’s amazing - he is so much happier. Now he has said his first word, he knows in himself he can do it. He’s bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. And he has a character about him he never had before.

“I am over the moon. I really cannot believe how much he has come alive. Obviously he can’t talk, but he know he is able to because he said that first word. I was there, and it was the best weekend ever, I can’t put it into words.”

She went to the pub with Alfie and his partner Tanya White and was pleased to see him happy and enjoying himself. Tracie added: “I would like to thank Tanya for the dedication and devotion to Alfie. It is outstanding. She sees Alfie all the time, she has been fundraising and she does work too - she is just rushed off her feet, bless her, but she does so much for Alfie. They have got matching wedding rings now, it made me cry my eyes out.

“I would also like to thank Michael Patrick Matthews for all the help and support he has given me over the months, and my partner Dave Ward who has supported me. I have had a terrible time, and he has been there supporting me and wiping away my tears. And thank you to family and everybody in Bexhill for their support.”