Sidley United Football Club could be kicked out of a county knockout competition for the second time this season.
The Sussex County Football League has charged the Blues with fielding an ineligible player in their John O’Hara League Challenge Cup quarter-final victory over Shoreham on Tuesday. Sidley have until March 7 to answer the charge and are currently considering their response.
Shoreham have complained to the league that Jacob Shelton, who came on as a late substitute against them, had played for AFC Uckfield in the same competition back in August.
Steve Nealgrove, vice-chairman of the Sussex County Football League, told the Shoreham Herald: “We are aware of the situation and are currently investigating, however, it is not black and white and we cannot confirm anything.
“If you pick up any FA rulebook, it will say that if a club fields an ineligible player, the club will be removed from the competition, the rule is quite clear.
The offending club has the option to appeal, however, if it is proved to be true, the club will be charged.”
When asked if Shoreham would be reinstated if the allegation is proved to be true, Nealgrove said it would be up to the cup committee to decide. If Shoreham were to be reinstated, they would face league leaders Peacehaven & Telscombe at a neutral location in the semi-finals.
Sidley were removed from the Sussex RUR Charity Cup earlier in the season after it was discovered that Sam Willett, who played in their 2-0 victory over Newhaven, had previously turned out for Rye United in the same competition.