Confusion reigns over whether or not Bexhill United have pulled off one of their biggest transfer coups in years.
Bexhill manager Gerard Moyse told Observer Sport on Wednesday evening that the club had completed the signing of Andy Atkin on loan from Eastbourne Borough until the end of the season and expected him to play in Bexhill’s game at home to Southwick on Saturday.
But the player himself insisted to the Eastbourne Herald this morning that he has not joined the Sussex County League Division Two outfit.
Atkin said: “There have been a lot of rumours floating around, but I have not signed for Bexhill. As far as I am concerned, I am still a contracted player with Eastbourne Borough.
“I have a new job and at the moment that is my priority. (Borough manager and assistant) Garry (Wilson) and Nick (Greenwood) have been fantastic and know what my situation is.”
While admitting it was likely Atkin will shortly be plying his trade outside the Blue Square Bet Premier, Borough manager Garry Wilson said on Tuesday afternoon that nothing had been finalised with Bexhill.
He said: “We’ve agreed to allow him to play local football somewhere, but we haven’t come to an agreement yet with Bexhill or any other club. We’ll keep hold of his Conference registration until the end of the season at least.”
Locally-based Atkin, who turned 30 a couple of weeks ago, has netted 60 times in 216 appearances for Borough since joining in 2005.
The full article will appear in tomorrow’s Bexhill Observer.