A FOUR-YEAR-OLD boy found his father dead at home following a heroin overdose.
Stuart Peat, 29, was discovered in his bedroom on March 27 this year, in the home shared with his son in Carisbrooke Road, St Leonards.
He had a high level of the drug in his system and also had a blood alcohol level of twice the legal drink drive limit, an inquest heard on Wednesday.
Mr Peat’s family arrived at the house at about 10am after receiving a call from his son. The emergency services were then called, but he was already dead.
He was fully clothed, with drugs paraphernalia and several cans of lager found at the scene. It was thought he had been dead for at least eight hours.
Mr Peat, who worked in the building trade, had a serious drugs habit in the past, using both heroin and crack cocaine. However, as recently as January this year, he had tested negative for drugs.
His half-brother Eugene McCormick, said as far as he knew Mr Peat had not taken any drugs in the last six years, and was trying to live a healthy lifestyle by going to the gym every day.
Coroner Alan Craze recorded a verdict of death from non-dependant abuse of drugs. He said: “I am satisfied that Stuart Peat had not been using heroin on a daily basis. But if any message should come out of this, it should be that heroin is a dangerous drug.”