Woman and dog trapped in blaze

A woman had to be treated for smoke inhalation after being trapped in her flat when the toaster caught fire.

The woman called fire crews at around 7.15am today (May 4) after fire broke out in her Stockleigh Road flat. She was trapped in her home because she was unable to find the key.

A spokesperson from East Sussex Fire and Rescue said the telephone operators had to give the woman ‘fire survival guidance’ over the phone until crews arrived.

Three appliances, two from Hastings and one from Bexhill, attended the blaze and used breathing apparatus when fighting the flames.

They also rescued a dog from the property.

Paramedics attended to treat the woman.