Two homes catch fire during the big freeze

The fire at The Hoe

The fire at The Hoe

0
Have your say

A LIT cigarette sparked a fire that ripped through a house in St Leonards.

Firefighters were called to The Hoe last Thursday (December 2) at around 3pm after receiving reports that a blaze had broken out in the upstairs bedroom.

Andy Ling, crew commander at The Ridge fire station, said: “The fire developed quite quickly on the first floor but it was under control within 20 minutes.

“The people inside had already evacuated before we arrived.

“We believe the fire may have been caused accidentally by a cigarette or lighter. A great deal of the house was smoke-logged.”

The following night a fire broke out at a flat in St Leonards just before midnight on Friday.

Firefighters were called to the address in London Road after the blaze started in the lounge in the ground-floor flat.

A spokesman for East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said a 30-year-old man was treated for smoke inhalation.