Safety advice after microwave fire in Hastings

Fire and Rescue news.
Fire and Rescue news.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service has issued a safety warning after a microwave fire in Hastings.

At 10.28am today (September 27), four appliances from Hastings and Bexhill, including the Aerial Ladder Platform, were sent to a property in Chapel Park Road.

Everyone was evacuated upon arrival at the scene and crews used a Positive Pressure Ventilation Fan to clear the building of smoke.

Following this incident a safety warning has been issued around the dangers of using a microwave in an incorrect way.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service’s business safety department manager Mark Hobbs said: “Never use any appliance other than in accordance with safety instructions or for anything that it is not designed to do.

“Where possible, don’t leave appliances unattended and ensure that there are working fire alarms in the area where they are used.”

For further information on fires in appliances visit www.blackmuseum.info.

If an electrical appliance catches fire, don’t throw water on it. If it is safe to do so, you may be able to put out the fire immediately by pulling the appliance’s plug out or switching off the power at the fuse box. If the fire doesn’t go out, get out of the house, stay out and call 999.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/ 2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/hastingsobserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @HastingsObs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Hastings Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.