Plumber died of asbestos exposure

A FORMER plumber died of lung disease brought on by years of exposure to harmful asbestos.

Charles Hall, 79, of Parker Road, passed away at the Conquest Hospital on February 23 and an inquest into his death was held on Wednesday (May 18).

Dr Stanford Mathe, the pathologist who carried out the post mortem, said that the pensioner’s lungs had succumbed to asbestosis.

Carolyn Hall, Mr Hall’s daughter, told the inquest that her late father started working in the plumbing industry in Hastings when he was 14 years old - just after the end of the Second World War.

He worked on central heating installation and later, in the 1960s, on numerous public buildings across the county, using lagging and installation material full of harmful fibres.

Coroner Alan Craze recorded a verdict of death by industrial disease.