Pensioner died after choking on sandwich

0
Have your say

A PENSIONER collapsed and died after choking on a ham sandwich at home.

Marion Stuart, 75, of Pinehurst Walk, was rushed to the Conquest Hospital but passed away shortly afterwards after succumbing to a heart attack.

An inquest into her death, which happened on February 25, was held last Wednesday (May 18).

It heard Mrs Stuart, a retired shop assistant, collapsed in the kitchen at home.

Her daughter, Christine Loft, heard the news about her mother’s accident by phone. She said: “Mum was sitting at the kitchen table having a ham sandwich together with dad when she got up suddenly and crashed to the floor.

“My dad said she had choked on the food and told me she was unconscious. We went to hospital with her but they (doctors) told us she was not going to survive.”

Pathologist Dr Mark Boxer said Mrs Stuart had a history of heart disease and hypertension and had suffered from swelling in her legs for some time.

She had a hip replacement operation a month before she died. He also told the inquest the pensioner was prone to falls.

Coroner Alan Craze recorded a verdict of accidental death.