OAP died after choking on her breakfast

0
Have your say

A PENSIONER died after choking on her porridge at breakfast time.

Doris Jordan, who was 99 and lived at Bryher Court Nursing Home in Filsham Road, St Leonards, was being fed her food by carer Michele Antoine when the accident happened.

An inquest into the pensioner’s death, which happened on February 26, was held on Wednesday.

Ms Antoine said: “It was the first time I’d given Doris a meal. She ate three quarters of her porridge but then simply collapsed. I called for help.

“She wasn’t opening her mouth nor were there any coughs or chokes.”

Other staff tried to dislodge the food by slapping the pensioner’s back.

They did manage to get a large amount of porridge out of her airway but she sadly died later that day at the Conquest Hospital.

Carole Naylor, registered nurse at Bryher Court, said the 99-year-old had lived at the home for 10 years.

“She was bedridden and everything had to be done for her,” she told Wednesday’s inquest.

Coroner Alan Craze recorded a verdict of accidental death.